In this page you’ll find links for software that I find particularly useful for my day-to-day work on my mac. I continuously update this page so add it to your bookmarks and come back from time to time ;-)
- MacVIM is a very nice editor for coding, I use it every day, very efficient.
- QtCreator is my favorite IDE for C/C++ code development. Very light, efficient and beautiful, it is also portable as it exists for Windows, Linux and Mac.
- Fraise : Smultron is not free anymore, let’s use ‘Fraise’. I use it for quick editing
- Texshop is my Latex editor
- Git is a very good version control software. Very useful to keep track of history changes and work in parallel on multiple branches of your projects, and collaborate with colleagues !
- I use SourceTree as a graphical interface for my git repositories. It is very intuitive and greatly simplifies and enhances my (otherwise limited) usage of git. SourceTree comes for Mac and Windows only, I wish they would develop a Linux version for colleagues..
- Iterm 2 is my great terminal
- AppCleaner : Uninstall your applications and their conf files by just dropping the app in the garbage
- Disk Inventory X : Tree Map of the files on your disk, great to quickly visualize your stuff when you feel it needs cleaning…
- Onyx : Great tool for your mac maintenance
- Macports is program that makes your life easy when it comes to install/upgrade open source software on your mac
- Chicken is a VNC client for mac, I use it almost every day
- Filezilla : The best FTP client I’ve found so far
- MindNode : A great mind mapping software. I use it to organize my understanding of scientific literature on particular topics, and also to organize the hundreds of simulations I’m doing.
- Notebook : I note everything here, from boring bash commands I can’t remember to physics stuff… Well… it’s my notebook!
- Papers : Great app for managing your papers, books, etc. Synchronization with the Ipad App !
- MacTex : the latex distribution and softwares, includes TexShop, bibtex and LatexIt among other stuff
- Apple Keynote is the best tool I’ve used so far to make presentation slides.
- Gnuplot : Fast efficient plotting program
- Wolfram Alpha is an amazing tool that I use make quick algebra, plots, and physical unit conversions.
Other web sites